By Jake Sepulveda
While we don’t mean it literally… though that’s important too… remaining calm during an emergency, especially something as frightening as a major disaster or Zombie outbreak, is extremely important for your survival.
Staying calm in the face of adversity is one of the most important things you can do to improve your chances of survival. Stress, fear, anger, and sorrow, can lead to rash decisions and dangerous choices that can and will lead to your eventual death. When faced with an intense situation, do your best to step back, think rationally, and react as best you can… without falling to the floor in fear or crashing through the wall in rage. Being prepared for a variety of eventualities can help ease the stress of having to deal with them, and it very well may help keep you calm and clearly thinking in the long run. Steps towards preparedness:
- Develop a disaster plan for different eventualities. Include both bug in and bug out plans, along with a detailed emergency kit and Bug out Bag.
- Store a battery/crank operated radio for emergency broadcasts, updates, and weather reports.
- Get to know your neighbors, you never know when you might need to call upon them for help… or when they might need you.
- Be observant and take precautions as needed.
- Educate yourself. Learn a first-aid and basic survival skills, you never know when they might come in handy.
- And don’t forget to breathe.
Categories: Equipping for disaster